Company history

Owned and operated by Alaskans since 1922


Candy maker Winfield Ervin founds First National at corner of Fourth and G in Anchorage. The bank has 500 shares of stock, a single employee, and a vault filled with gold nuggets and untanned animal pelts.


As the Alaska Railroad begins operation, contractors and employees turn to the bank for safety and security.


First National supplies payroll to troops stationed in Alaska.


Alaska finally achieves statehood, and the bank opens its Northern Lights branch, the first Alaska bank branch located in a major shopping center. The following year First National would open Alaska's first drive-through bank and become the first Alaskan bank to computerize its operations.


After the catastrophic Good Friday earthquake, First National puts additional funds into reconstruction of quake areas across the state. Bank President D.H. Cuddy announces new building project to demonstrate confidence in Alaska.


First National serves as catalyst for reconstruction following the Fairbanks flood of 1967.


While the mid-80's recession forces banks and businesses across the state to close, First National expands and is ranked among the nation's top 10 performing banks by Veribanc, meeting the "highest standards in the industry."

1991 - Today

First National remains committed to Alaska. Over the past few years we've invested some $18 million in new buildings, more than $7 million in computer infrastructure and installed one of the largest communications networks in North America. Our investment in Alaska has maximized the bank's efficiency and reliability while keeping support functions right here in the state.